Having gotten into some play-by-comment Necromunda during the Covid lockdown I thought this would be a good excuse to make up some specific Necromunda terrain. I’ve fancied some kind of vertical board for a while now so like the cool kids I set off to put something together.
I really fancied doing something very neon and cyberpunk but I didn’t want to go too high tech for necromunda (wish I could think of a good cyberpunk game). I also find the potential for the civilian aspect of Necromunda really interesting, deserted tunnels and vents are all well and good but I really liked the idea of environments that people actually lived in. Finally knocking some ideas about I settled on some kind of underhive take on 1920/30’s Paris/Berlin cabaret and nightclubs… so a Neonheim?
I have a load of pre-cut 9mm 2×2′ and 2×1′ MDF sheets for terrain boards so combining those together should be easy? I was initially tempted to just build the entire vertical section within a wooden frame as I am lazy and didn’t fancy taking the effort to jigsaw out the opening.
Well, I spoke to Dylan of 40k Ham Slam on Instagram about his vertical board (check it out, it’s really good) as I wanted someone’s thoughts on the play experience for vertical boards, and during that conversation I convinced myself/was convinced I should stop being lazy and a solid backing board was probably a good idea. From that chat also came some discussion of how important it was to break up the LoS on each level, which I’d originally thought about using scatter terrain for but decided that building something in would be best to help stop each level becoming a shooting gallery.
Rough idea was a for some kind of swamp/canal at the very bottom of the table, then a level which could link into a zone mortalis board. Above that would be some levels where I could add modular shop fronts, and a lift to act as an entrance to the area.
To help support the board I added a couple of wooden blocks, these could have gone on the back but to give some initial structure I put them on the front side. Particularly the vertical one gave some extra depth to the board to let models shoot up and down from the level they were on (in theory).
The first floor has two door-ways sized to line up with two zone-mortalis tiles, the height was set by my existing board-raisers. Then the three levels above are near identical, their height set to be sufficient so a shop front could fit in the opening with some signage above. Each floor was sized as an identical 25mm section. On the left hand side I added some vent opening and a door-way for the lift which would likely serve as the entrance/exit for the area.
I’d planned to take a staircase up this buttress but in the end it didn’t work so I put one up and way from the buttress, and the rest of the stairs went up the left hand side of the board. I’d also planned for some access ladders but as they’re pretty small they can go in later to make sure there aren’t any single bottlenecks.