logo

News

 

Some people might remember a while back when I was sketching out the profile of a big Larp weapon. Well last month I had the excuse to actually get it built. Attending a Wastelands UK Larp event I wanted to go for a post-apocalyptic heavy infantry trooper and what seemed appropriate as a weapon for that was this build (and it’s termed as a Slaymore in my project listings).

Unfortunately, I was short on time for the build so I don’t have all the photos that I would like but here’s a quick overview.

I’ve been wanting to do a weapon based on a propeller of a while and a helicopter tail rotor seemed like something about the right size to use as a greatsword. Originally I’d planned to base it on an Apache rotor but after looking at some reference images the UH-60 Blackhawk rotor had a better shape.

I pulled some reference images off the internet. Once I had a picture that was pretty much flat onto the blade, using the Draftsight CAD package sketch out a 1:1 design. Modifying come areas that would cause problems on the build. Generally thickening up some points and reducing the blade width to something I felt would still swing nicely. I know for a blade this size I would need a long handle to control it and a lot of counter-weight to balance the large blade so I designed a large pommel based on the geared mount for another tail rotor which would let me add plenty of lead as a counter-weight.

Once I’d done that I printed it out onto multiple A4 paper with a keying mark to allow me to align each sheet. Once printed, I stuck them together based on the keying marks and then cut out the profile.

Once that was done I used each section of the profile to cut out LD45 foam pieces I used to build up the weapon. I sanded and turned various parts on my pillar drill to give a smooth finish. The handle was thick plastic pipe except the last 4” which are rolled lead sheeting moving the balance point to a comfortable 10” forward of the first hand hold point.

 

 

Once assembly I sealed it with a couple of coats of black Plastidip. Then I gave it a base coat of military olive on the main blade and pewter on the bare mechanical sections. When spraying I either mask with masking-tape or with just a hand held sheet of card.

 

Metallic areas I dry-brushed with a bright silver.

 

The tip remained black and back from that I added a yellow band, using torn masking tape to give an impression of the paint chipping off.

 

I’d also printed some stencils and cut them out with a scalpel (whilst wishing I had a vinyl cutter to do all the small lettering).

Using temporary mount spray I stuck the stencils to the weapon and spray painted them.

 

Once all the paint had time to dry I went over and weathered the weapon using acrylic paint and inks.

Once dry I gave the weapon a couple of coats of matt varnish to give the paint job some protection.

 

Finally, the handle was just glued wrapped with some rough cloth I deliberately dyed badly a while ago and save for projects like this.

Overall, given the time I had to work on it, I’m really pleased with how it came out.